Friday, September 18, 2015

What I Read This Summer: Nonfiction

I am not as prolific a reader when it comes to nonfiction as compared to fiction. I'd like to say it's because I'm pondering and processing as I read but I fear I may just be lazy! But then again maybe not. Maybe thoughtful readers are slow readers.

Slow or not, prolific or not, I did read some great nonfiction books this summer that I happily recommend to you.

HISTORY: Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson. I've read a couple of other titles by Larson and enjoyed them both, most notably The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America. Dead Wake is equally fascinating as it weaves personal stories of passengers on the Lusitania with the political climate as well as the strategical challenges of submarine warfare.

MEMOIR: The Hardest Peace: Expecting Grace in the Midst of Life's Hard by Kara Tippetts. This was hard to read, naturally because of the subject matter and because Kara has now died, but also because of the death of my friend to cancer a year ago. Despite the heaviness, this is also a hopeful book, one that confidently asserts that life, no matter its struggles or pain, is precious because of Jesus and the hope He gives in the gospel.

GOSPEL: From Good to Grace: Letting Go of the Goodness Gospel by Christine Hoover. Christine is writing my story in this book and I loved it and I needed it.

THEOLOGY: The Joy of Fearing God by Jerry Bridges. Okay, so it's not theology like a seminary level theological tome but this exploration of the person and character of God challenged and encouraged me.

PRAYER: Prone to Wander: Prayers of Confession and Celebration by Barbara Duguid and Wayne Houk. I didn't actually read this over this summer so much as I finished it this summer so I'm including it in my list. This is a book of prayers and confessions that I used in my morning devotional time. Each prayer includes confession as well as a reiteration of the gospel with a focus on Christ and His finished work. I found it extremely hopeful and helpful.

Did you read anything you would like to recommend? Let us know in the comments! I know I am always looking for the encouragement of a good book!

1 comment:

  1. I have seen Kara's book but haven't gotten it yet. We just walked through cancer with our pastor, who died about a year ago, and even though God did many sweet things through that time in our church, I've not been e=ready to read another cancer story yet. I did read this summer Walking With God in the Season of Motherhood by Melissa B. Kruger, Growing Up Amish: A Memoir by Ira Wagler, Everyday Grace: Infusing All Your Relationships With the Love of Jesus by Jessica Thompson, and Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest by Edward T. Welch. Probably the last one was my favorite. I'm also currently reading Knowing God by J. I. Packer (somehow I have missed it all these years) and The Problem of Pain by C. S. Lewis (not liking as much as I thought I would). I tend to go more slowly through non-fiction, too (unless it's a biography), and even then don't retain as much as I do with fiction.

    ReplyDelete