Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Just do it

Deal with your servant according to your steadfast love, and teach me your statutes.
I am your servant, give me understanding that I may know your testimonies.
Psalm 119:124-125


As Christians, we know we should read God's Word. This is His revelation of Himself. It is living, powerful, encouraging, comforting, and convicting. We may genuinely want to spend time in the Word because we know we can't live without it. But some days, it seems like everything conspires against us.

You may not have this problem, but I do. I have high hopes of getting a good night's sleep with every intention of waking up early, all bright eyed and bushy tailed. I will brew a cup of tea and sit at the kitchen table with my Bible and notebook. My mind will be alert and focused. I will have plenty of time to soak in the Word before the day starts rolling, and I will be spiritually refreshed and raring to go. But more often than not, I wake up bleary eyed and mentally foggy. I get distracted by this or that. My workload is more than I expected so I barely remember to eat breakfast let alone feed my soul. This leads to discouragement that I've blown it yet again.

There's no question that I should continue to pray for more discipline and orderly days. But when the morning doesn't go as planned, this should not keep me from grabbing the Bible and reading it whenever and however because this is when I need it the most. 

Maybe I need to forgo the idea of the ideal and just do it - plodding on with the desire to be in the Word. And when I fail, then repent, confess, pray, believe, and pick up the Bible anyway. 

Repeat as often as necessary.

1 comment:

  1. I used to get up and go straight to my bible but I just wasn't awake enough to appreciate my time. So I let go of having to do it as soon as I got out of bed and will do it once I've had some coffee and get dresses.

    ReplyDelete