Wednesday, November 21, 2018

It is good to give thanks

It is good to give thanks to the Lord
And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High
Psalm 92:1

Given that many people will be celebrating Thanksgiving this week, we wanted to share what we are thankful for. 

Persis:

It's been a busy and rough year. Much of the summer was spent packing my parents and moving them to assisted living. My dad's health then took a turn for the worse, and the Lord took him home. So in the midst of grief, I am thankful for my dad's life and legacy. I am also thankful for the Bible's promises that Christ's resurrection means we will be resurrected as well. My pastor "just happened" to be preaching this year through 1 Corinthians and the Heidelberg Catechism, so the sermons on 1 Cor. 15, my only comfort in life and in death, and the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting were so timely. God has also sustained my family in so many practical ways too for which I thank Him.

Kim:

There is so much to be thankful for!

Over this past year, I have had opportunities to be with my family, and the highlight of my summer was our vacation with my son and daughter-in-law. How blessed we are to have her in our family.

I'm thankful for being able to be in Seminary. I feel like this was what I was meant to do. I'm learning so much about theology, the Bible, and myself.

I'm also thankful that my parents and my in-laws are all healthy and live independently. After watching what Persis went through this past year, I was reminded that aging parents is not an easy road, and I'm thankful for every good year they are given.

I'm thankful that my identity is in Christ alone.

Rebecca:

As I write this, my church family is preparing a memorial service for a beloved member of our church. I am thankful that the death of each saint is "precious in the sight of the Lord." I am thankful for the sure inheritance God keeps in heaven for us. I am thankful that his power keeps his children faithful to the end.

I am thankful that our trials, our pain, our suffering—and yes, even our death, when it comes—are all God's mysterious way to perform his wonders. I am thankful that God is always accomplishing his purposes.

I am also thankful for beautiful weather. It could be -30°C (Its November in northern Canada, after all.), but it's above freezing instead. This is a rare gift from the One who controls all temperatures everywhere.

I'm thankful that my grown children all live nearby. This too is a rare gift, especially for someone who lives where I do.

Deb:

I'm grateful first and foremost for God's grace to the chief of sinners, for giving new life to my heart of stone, and for transferring my lost, depraved self from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of life through his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. All else is done from love and offered back to Him, for His glory and for the good of those whom He places in my path. Thank you, Lord.

What are you thankful for? Please share in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment