Wednesday, December 2, 2015

To Christmas or not to Christmas - that is the question

I don't remember where I saw it on Facebook, but at the beginning of November, someone posted that Christians get a month off before we can start arguing again about whether or not we should celebrate Christmas. Funny but true, and I have been on both sides of this issue.

My family celebrated Christmas when I was young, but we stopped based on a change in my parents' convictions. Even though I missed getting the presents, I didn't feel deprived of what really mattered. I don't think my psyche has been permanently damaged either.

I did not celebrate Christmas for many years as an adult because it was very natural to adopt my parents' view. But there were other reasons for non-celebration. During an especially rough time, the thought of pasting on a happy holiday face so I wouldn't be a downer was more than I could bear. It would have been the height of hypocrisy given the current circumstances. But time has passed, and I have changed. Now my daughter and I have our own rather low-key Christmas celebration.

I'm not suggesting we abstain from civil discourse about the pros and cons of celebrating Christmas. Dialogue about differing ideas can be profitable. But there is more to being a Christian than what we do or don't do on December 25.

In the fullness of time, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. (Gal. 4:4-5) 

We can rejoice that the Seed of the woman came and crushed the head of the serpent even if we don't agree on the month Jesus was born. We can meditate on the incarnation and have our minds blown away by the mystery of the hypostatic union in December as well as the rest of the year. We can be thankful that God has saved us from every tribe, tongue, and nation which includes those who celebrate Christmas and those who don't.

The good new of Jesus Christ far outweighs what we may disagree on regarding a single day of the year. May we hold fast to the gospel, our unity in Christ, and the blessing of Christian liberty. May we give thanks to the Lord for all His wondrous deeds. And we can do this no matter what we do or don't do on December 25.

2 comments:

  1. We come from a strongly reformed, presbyterian part of Scotland and we grew up doing all the presents, family-gathering, eating parts of Christmas, but it never occurred to us that it had anything to do with our Saviour...!! (Horror of horrors to most Christians, I know ... all the 'worldly parts of Christmas, and none of the spiritual :) )

    Now that we have our own family and seek to have a Biblical reason for doing/not doing everything in our family, we sometimes go round in circles trying to figure out what is best to do during the month of December.

    What I *do* know is that the constant online bashing by Christians (mostly those of similar persuasions to myself in most Christian things) of those who celebrate the birth of Christ at this time of year is disheartening, and does more damage than the posters can imagine.

    Because I read blogs and articles from the USA, where a spiritual meaning is given to Christmas to a much greater extent than it is here in Scotland, I have become more 'lax' in my previous view of Christmas - ie, it having NO Biblical significance, and being more pagan than Christian :) . I now lean towards enjoying the many thoughts of Christ I read at this time of year, and for those who make the day a 'holy day', may they be blessed in this. I will benefit from their publicized thoughts of our Lord.

    And I am looking forward SO much to this time of year again.... all being well, our daughter and her new husband, and our son who is now working away from home, will ALL be with us. I can NOT WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homeschool - what an interesting history you have. When I think about Scotland's rich Biblical history after the Reformation, it's so sad to see how apostate it has become. But we here in North America had better be on guard because I don't think we're too far behind! Have a wonderful Christmas with your kids and thank you for sharing with us!

      Delete