Friday, September 7, 2012

Theology Makes My Heart Sing

I stole the title of this post from an old blog post, a short justification of my love of theology, that I wrote more than eight years ago. When we were in the planning stage of Out of the Ordinary, one of the things we discussed was what kind of posts we wanted to write. It wasn't a difficult question for me to answer; I wanted to write "theology for girls" posts. Eight years on, I still love theology and I want to share that love with you.

As Kim wrote in her previous post, "right living begins with right theology." Fundamentally, this is because so-called "right living" is not right living at all if it is not done for right reasons. It's here in the why of our obedience that theology operates. Theology tells us who God is that we should worship him, and what he's done that we should love him. Learned well, theology grows our love for God, and love spurs our obedience to him. As Jesus said, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

If you were to ask me what practical use there is for theology, this is the answer I'd give. Right living begins with right theology; solid theology builds solid women. 

But theology is much more than motivation for right living. It soars above the practical to the doxological; it is down-to-earth—and up-to-heaven, too. The overflow of the love for God that grows from theology learned well is praise. Theology writes the hymnal of the Christian heart. 

I pray that as I study and write my posts, my love for God will grow. I pray that as you read, your love will grow, too. And I pray that our growing love for God will foster growing obedience to him. But most of all, I'm praying that solid theology produces women whose hearts sing!

10 comments:

  1. I recently read a quote on twitter which said something like, "Let our theology become your doxology." Then my pastor made a similar comment last Sunday. I have sort of made it my unofficial motto for where I am in my Christian walk right now. :)

    Solid theology also makes my heart sing, and it's encouraging to find other women who enjoy delighting in the Lord this way too. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to provide a place for women to discover the importance and blessing of solid theology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. **I meant to say "Let our theology become (our) doxology, not (your). Sorry. Apparently I need a second cup of coffee this morning. ;)**

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this: Theology writes the hymnal of the Christian heart. Our theology is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Theology writes the hymnal of the Christian heart." As I study & grow in theology, the songs of my heart have grown louder & bolder in my relationships & teaching, in obedience, in comfort, & perseverance. I realize the gift of every interaction where the bass line is the foundation of Who God is and What He has done. I am grateful for writers such as yourself who teach & inspire the girls to be theologians. Let us be thinking women who think the thoughts of God & tell them humbly to all. May God richly bless this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this reminder. Just found your blog and it encourages me so much!! I am a missionary in Spain and hope to teach the women here more theology!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm singing with you girls! After all, it's not about what we accomplish, but what God has accomplished and is accomplishing in Christ! It is our privilege and honor to get to know our Groom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It soars above the practical to the doxological; it is down-to-earth—and up-to-heaven, too."

    And your post makes my heart sing Rebecca! Oh how we need to see more women excited about digging deep for the treasures found in God's word! May this blog ignite a new passion for theology!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so pleased with the warm response to Out of the Ordinary. Thanks to all of you for stopping by to read and for commenting so kindly on this post and the previous ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is "Amen" and "Amen"! What else can I add? I am so excited over this endeavor and proud of you all! Looking forward to more God-glorifying posts like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joining in the 'Amen' chorus! I love how you write about theology, Rebecca, in a way that shows God to be so worthy of our praise.

    ReplyDelete