Monday, February 18, 2019

Quotes of Note


Each Monday, we share quotes we found encouraging, convicting, thought-provoking, or all of the above.

Persis:

The foundations on which sanctification is built from 1 Peter 1 in Devoted to God by Sinclair Ferguson. (pg. 29)
  1. God the Holy Trinity, is devoted to it;
  2. God the Holy Father has commanded us to pursue it;
  3. Christ the Holy Son has died to effect it;
  4. The Holy Spirit works in us to bring forth the fruit of it;
  5. God sends trials into our experience in order to produce it;
  6. Heaven itself is a world that is full of it.
Kim:

I have been reading Simonetta Carr's book Broken Pieces and the God Who Mends Them. I'm swamped with school work at the moment, but I've been sneaking moments before bed to read it. It's gripping. Simonetta's experience is extreme, but not uncommon. Despite her situation with her son being more difficult than most, her words about motherhood in this passage are true. We never stop learning to mother:
I pat him on the leg to show that I'm happy he is coming with us. The mellowing effect of the medications causes his muscles to relax, and he doesn't react. He once told me he doesn't like to be hugged or touched, so I try not to do it, but once in while I sneak a light pat on his leg or shoulder, or a soft kiss over his head on the tip of his dreadlocks. It feels so good, and I want it so much, but I have to remember that I don't need it -- not if he doesn't want it. The only way to accept it is to keep my eyes on the Lord and to get my satisfaction from him. I thought I was done learning most of my lessons about motherhood, but no . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment