Friday, February 15, 2019

Five Star Links


Each Friday, we share links we found especially interesting or inspiring during the previous week. 

Persis:

The Houston Chronicle published several articles this week on the cover up of child sexual abuse in Southern Baptist Churches. I am not a Southern Baptist, but I try to advocate for abuse victims whenever I have the opportunity. Thus as painful as these stories are, we can't turn away. There have been many posts in response to the investigation, but I appreciate this one written by Keith Whitfield at First Things. 
The SBC faces a moral crisis as big (if not bigger) than the theological crisis we faced over the “battle for the Bible” in the 1970s–1980s. The theological crisis called us to protect the faith; this challenge calls us to live it.

Kim:

I appreciated Christina Fox's reflection on confession, as seen in Psalm 51: "Psalm 51 and a Prayer of Confession." 
Such confession of sin requires humility. We have to humble ourselves before the Lord. We have to recognize that God is God and we are not. We have to rest and rely on his mercy and grace for us in Christ. God poured out his wrath on Christ, the wrath we deserved for sin. In Christ, we are forgiven, justified, and made righteous. In Christ, we know David’s cry has ultimately been fulfilled: “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions” (Psalm 51:1).

Rebecca:

I couldn't make up my mind, so here are two links I liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment