Monday, May 4, 2015

Monday Musing

Believer, you can have as much of God as you want. In fact, you already do. John Snyder's words cut swiftly, deeply.

How much of God do I want? In the midst of my daily life - job, home, family, books, other entertainments - how much do I long for God? I read my Bible, and I read books about God and the Christian life. Certainly, I know Him. But how much do I want Him?

Some days God is little more than a talisman tucked into my pocket. I pull Him out and say a quick prayer when I need strength, patience, or help to live life the way I want to live it.

Some days He is a sweet idea that brings a smile to my face. I recall His marvelous grace lavished upon me, but that has little impact upon me here, right now, today.

Some days He is weapon of choice. I use Him to judge, criticize, and even ridicule others.

And yes, there are days when He is my strength, shield, foundation, and hope. I wonder if even then - in the days of feeling as if I want nothing more than to glorify Him - have I substituted the Almighty God for a god of my own creation who better suits me?

One thing is for certain. I don't have enough - not nearly enough - knowledge of God. I could walk away from everything else in my life, devote it completely to studying Him, and I would be no closer to knowing Him fully. Eternity cannot contain Him. No man can fathom Him.

And yet I have been invited to know Him. The unlikelihood of that invitation should make me greedy for Him.

Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
-Psalm 34:8

Lord, give me a desire to know You today. May I never be satisfied with what I have of You. May I always want more!


No comments:

Post a Comment