Wednesday, January 7, 2015

How about some audience participation?

Happy New Year from all of us here at the blog! It's hard to believe that it's the New Year already. A new year can be a great time for reflecting on progress made or for making plans. We here at Out of the Ordinary, are looking ahead to 2015, and need your input.

We have some questions:  What blog topics draw your interest? What do you think are the most pressing issues facing older women?

As I was checking out blogs a bit over the holidays, I noticed that there is not a lot of content directed to older women. Now, I'm not one who thinks I need to have every theological principle presented in specific ways that suit my age group, but it would be nice to see an older woman applying biblical principals to situations that older women find themselves in. For example, I have adult children, and I'm navigating this for the first time. I would love to have input from another woman who has been there.

Here are a few issues that we came up with:
  • aging parents
  • dealing with the empty nest and releasing our children
  • the challenges of adult children
  • our attitudes toward aging ourselves
As you can see, the list is short; surely there are other issues.

What kind of issues would you like to see written about? Is there a topic that you as an older woman wish someone would address?  If you are not an older woman, are there things you're looking ahead to that you'd like to see discussed?

We appreciate our readers a great deal, and we would love for you to share in the comments any feedback you may have.

11 comments:

  1. Kim. Your list is pretty comprehensive as an outline and I think the choice of sub points you could address would be most helpful. If you want to get down to the some of the really difficult issues some older women face here's a few. Obviously they won't be common to everyone (hopefully!)

    Examples:

    Loss of a spouse.(through death or desertion)
    The difficult decision to place your elderly parent in a care home.
    When your parent has died and was not a Christian.
    When your unmarried son or daughter gets pregnant.
    When your adult child joins a cult.
    Knowing boundaries as grandparents. (some women struggle with this)
    Raising you grandchildren (very common today)
    Family estrangements.
    Mental illness of a family member.
    Holiday family tensions.
    Aging parents of adult special needs children (this is one our family has faced)
    When a Christian spouse commits adultery (no personal experience here - but it's more prevalent than we realize.)
    When a close family member needs church discipline.
    Declining health issues: ie - caring for a disabled spouse. etc.

    The list could go on....


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it would be impossible for your unmarried son to get pregnant. ha! (but you know what I mean).

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Diane! This is a wonderful list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking recently that I don't know of many blogs addressing the issues middle-aged women face. Your list is a good one - we have been or are dealing with all four of those. Another thought is how your service might change as you get older. I wrote a post a while back on "Why Older Women Don't Serve" (https://barbarah.wordpress.com/2011/08/30/why-dont-older-women-serve/) after seeing a younger woman ask that question on a message board. My basic thought was they still do (or should), but it might look different - I just don't have the "oomph" to do some of the things I used to do, but there are quieter ways I can serve the body of Christ that may be a little different than what they used to be or may not fit within a specified church program (which is ok). I did follow that post up with one on ways in which older women can serve. Another thought would be tips on being a good mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for those suggestions, Barbarah. The one about being a good mother-in-law is an excellent one! And, yes, quieter ways are so valuable!

      Delete
  4. Did you see this article Denny Burke bounces off of on aging women and the culture of youth?http://www.dennyburk.com/its-time-to-move-past-the-madonna-cult-fdrlst/
    Click over to read the full article from his page. There is a lot of writing material in there. I think it is a pressing issue for both agin women and their young daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Aimee. I read the article, and it does raise some really good questions. I think it points to the deeper issue of where we as women take our cues regarding the process of ageing; do we take them from the world or do we have a "theology of ageing" so to speak? The author pondered on the value of pursuing power over service, and I think that's a crucial element as well. Thanks for pointing this piece out!

      Delete
  5. An issue I am facing is a saved grandmother giving biblical advise to a young adult and actively encouraging them to go against their parents. Hard to set boundaries with a mother-in-law that lives close to you and doesn't drive. I think learning to be a good mother-in-law ( one that releases her children and doesn't interfere. Can you tell I am struggling???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of good fodder here. Thank you, ladies!



    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 50, but my sons are grown. I'd cared for my parents in my home many years, but they have both died. I've been married over 32 years so I'm not a newly married woman. I am loving my age and where I am in life.
    My interests are: mental health including PTSD, leadership in the church, Bible study, mission work.

    ReplyDelete