Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Truth over feelings

Last week at this time, I was on my way home from one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to: the Yukon. It's actually home to our own Becky. Over the years, she has shared more than once how thankful she is to live there, and I now now first hand why she says it.


For five mornings,  I woke to look out the window and see the mountains with the clouds often just brushing the tops. We were awestruck by the magnificent peaks and the deep valleys, complete with ominous rapids. We were treated to both the bold blue sky as well as the gentle, soft hues of sunrise and sunset. The leaves were beginning to turn, and we could see the fall colours just coming to life, dotting the slopes of the mountains.  Beauty hovered at the ground, too, with wild cranberries, rich lichen, and tall grass along the river. When I am surrounded by such beauty, it prompts me to be grateful to God, to praise Him. At the end of the trip, I felt full to overflowing with gratitude, and all sorts of warm, fuzzy feelings.

When I got home,  it was back to reality. All of the "stuff" was right where I left it.  Unbelieving family members, conflict with friends and loved ones, illness, the struggle to live for God in a world gone mad. I found myself within a few short days having lost that feeling which warmed my heart on the plane ride home.

Feelings don't last. I need something beyond a feeling.

While God's revelation of Himself in His creation causes us to praise Him, and testifies to His glory, it is not sufficient to for lasting peace and contentment. We also need to know His character and His promises.  For that, we need to know the truth as revealed in His Word.  The Word of God reminds us that God is indeed on the throne.
Psalm 103: 15-19:
As for man, his days are like grass;
he flourishes like a flower of the field;
for the wind passes over it and is gone,
and its place knows it no more.
But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting
on those who fear him,
and to those who keep his covenant
and remember his commandments.
The Lord has established his throne in the heavens,
and his kingdom rules over all 
Whether or not I feel it, God's kingdom rules over all. Even when there are struggles and burdens and conflict, God is still on the throne. When I am frustrated with sin, including my own, and when I rail against the sin-cursed world, or grieve over a burden, that knowledge will keep me on a level path. Even though the world around me seems to have gone crazy,  I must press on and trust God, no matter how I feel.  Maybe I can't see it, but He is ruling. His Word tells me so.

Yes, God's creation brings me joy, and sometimes moves me to moments when I cannot speak. But those feelings fade, and they aren't enough to hold me up when things get hard. Ultimately, I must find my strength in the revealed truth. The truth never fades.

The grass withers, the flower fades,
but the word of our God will stand forever. (Isaiah 40:8)

4 comments:

  1. A very big amen Kim! I am moved to tears often by the glory of God revealed in his creation-kind of a glimpse of what awaits us as his children in our eternal home-basking in the glory of his beauty for eternity. However, it is the Word of God that anchors my soul and keeps me pressing on tenaciously till the day I see him face to face.
    What a blessing to be able to wake up to that view-it's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim. Just what I needed to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everyone clicks on that photo to see it BIG!

    ReplyDelete